Monday, February 3, 2014

Chakna!

All these years in Mumbai, I learnt that drinking or smoking is not considered socially bad, be that for a guy or a girl (not to my concern anyway!). I have stayed with a variety of friends - non- drinkers, drinkers, social drinkers, those only happy with beer or a glass of wine, and I have accompanied them willingly (and at times unwillingly) wherever they have been to drink. This blog is not about social contours of Mumbai but about alcohol and the places most of my friends were affectionate of. For me, it was always the side dish - the Chakna, to be enjoyed while spending endless time chatting and waiting for my connoisseur friends to finish their drink. I don't claim to have explored all areas in Mumbai but the ones visited may resonate the same environment at most locations. 

Web definition of Chakna is, 'a spicy stew made out of goat tripe and other animal digestive parts, is a speciality dish among Hyderabadi Muslims....'

To me, Chakna was the dish (and to disappoint again, I am veg) that gave the much needed succour and company to last those long arduous hours of meaningless chatter with my drunk friends. Mostly free but overeating kills all your appetite for the main dish.

A few places that I have liked, primarily as an experience of the place rather than the food, have been

1. Leopold Cafe - one of the oldest in Town, I like the chairs, tables and the seating arrangement here but not the overall ambience. This is the only place that I have frequented more than twice and honestly, I always felt it to be pricey (not that I paid for any drinks!). Its more westernised for the food with my liking being the peanuts and green chutni served as Chakna. Veg crispy and the sweet and salted lime juice was another best combination for me. I have had back to back lemon juices to eat my time here. Must visit but nothing missed if not frequented; no great food either.

2. Cafe Mondegar - Best is the ambience, famous for the conspicuous plates and the paintings on the walls (Mario Miranda special!!). I like this place, more than Leopold. Onion rings, peanuts and the sweet and salted lime juice were the better combination for me at this place. A full glass Lassi is another time consuming and filling diet to last all the drink stock of others.

3. Gokul -  Economical and youthful, mostly college students. I have been at this place only once, situated in the alley behind Taj, the name itself sounded shady for a place in South Mumbai. It was the most crowded place I have seen for a sitting only bar and even the interiors were not classy with simple bench like tables to sit. Its youthful because its economical, and as I understood from my few connoisseur friends that most college students in Mumbai visit this place atleast once. As far as the Chakna goes, the fried salted garlic was one I liked most. Perhaps its most common across most bar's, but for me it was different and we easily had repeat dishes of it coming to our table.
4. WTF - The abbreviation is enough. Located at Santacruz or start of Bandra (if am correct), this place for me was more for the crowd than the food or drink. I dont recollect the Chakna here but am sure of the pretty faces around made up for most of the time.
All said, how do I not mention of the sessions at the flat and the homemade variety of the Chakna consumed over can of Coke. These have been the home made chakli, the papdi, Haldiram's diet chiwda or the farsan. The best companions for me from being not chucked from any discussions that my friends would have after getting drunk. After all, everyone needs a side kick once a while to stay in the course.
PS: As I finish writing this one, I had food at our one of earlier frequented hotel at Mulund (Hotel Pooja!). I noticed in the menu, peanuts are being charged now!!
a few more places like Pooja, Sports bar, Gaylord or the ManU cafe could have been in he list, but cant remember all the menu's...and as Chakna, salted cashew were also best.

No comments: